Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Boy with Empty Mason Jars

There was nothing out there;

          sky, street, trees.

I looked further
and there was a you
slipping away from a me

to greet me –

a place that existed
only in the furthest
reaches of sleep

and frailty
          and goodbye

where the sunlight
feels colder

the desperation
greater

than winter’s
chilling embrace.


The girl I love
in the front seat
behind the wheel –

my heart
lost
somewhere in my throat forever.

She looks at me
with eyes that long
for something more;

some thing
I’ve never had.

Something she needs to find
on her own.

And then maybe –

          I hoped –
you’d find me
in the other realm

in the other sky
above the blue

above you;

in the other
that I acquired
before you awoke
from the sadness.

I’m the storm
in front of you
you want to chase.

You’re the storm
in front of me
that gets away;

a supercell swirling
in the swaying hail.

And I wish
you could feel me
here;

the suffocating drops
of longing
I can’t keep
from spilling out

of every pore
to my name.

And though that ever-present
shimmer in your eyes
is blinding

there is a sickening past
and a future uncertain

you’re just not willing
to let go of –

to envision –

just yet.

And so these stars
will extinguish
the sun

on this

the coldest day
on earth.

You’ll bury me
in the backyard;

you want to bury me
in your grave –

in the ashes
of a heaven obscure.

Somehow, you’ve been
deflecting all the love
I’ve been throwing
in effervescent cyclones
towards your unseeing eyes.

Your love –
          still forming
cumulonimbus massacres
in spotty crashes –

an unsubstantial rain
and a drought
that has plagued
my aching claws.

I’m losing my strength
while my will remains

bitterly intact;

please touch down –

Juliet Oscar Romeo Delta Alpha November –

on the runway
before the snow
returns…


and so love
is synonymous

with scary dreams
that end
beforethe end.

No comments:

Post a Comment