Thursday, January 9, 2020

Weekly Movie Review: Errementari - The Blacksmith and the Devil (2017)


This movie had been on my radar for some time and I’m glad I finally pulled the trigger on watching it. It was such a pleasant and whimsical surprise.

Firstly, I don’t know if I would classify this as horror; probably more of dark-fantasy/folklore. But man, everything from the casting, to the music, to the storyline, setting, makeup, and costuming was well thought-out and wonderfully crafted.

I highly recommend watching with the Basque language and just having english subtitles as the language is a major factor in really drawing you into the story: it’s so unusual, like a cross between Spanish, Portuguese, and French. It’s lovely.

There are some silly moments, especially those involving chickpeas (???), and a couple chuckle worthy/goofy elements, but I don’t feel that they detract from the film, more so, I feel they help enhance it and keep that whimsy alive throughout.

Damn good flick, highly entertaining, only wish we get to see a final battle in Hell.


7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment